Welcome To The War On Climate ChangePosted by Al @ 3:42 pm
Let’s see, since many of us, including leading scientists around the world, do not buy this global warming fearmongering, the Obama administration will now take a new approach that will certainly scare the daylights out of the ignorant. These same individuals have introduced into our reality the war on terror, war on drugs, war on poverty, etc.. If Americans won’t buy into whatever policy initiative the federal government is pushing, then they declare war on it to scare the hell out of them and attempt to paint it with a patriotic brush. Well, now we have the “war on global warming” as reported by the NY Times this past August.
So here are some of the new buzz phrases we will hearing in the near future as the Obama team readies their gameplan:
- raising the prospect of military intervention
- climate-induced crises could topple governments, feed terrorist movements or destabilize entire regions
- sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and South and Southeast Asia, will face the prospect of food shortages, water crises and catastrophic flooding driven by climate change that could demand an American humanitarian relief or military response
- policy makers say that the world’s rising temperatures, surging seas and melting glaciers are a direct threat to the national interest
- the continuing conflict in southern Sudan, which has killed and displaced tens of thousands of people, is a result of drought
- U.S military critical installations are vulnerable to rising seas and storm surges
- The shrinking of the ice cap…opens a shipping channel that must be defended and undersea resources that are already the focus of international competition
- climate change by itself…would contribute to a host of problems, including poverty, environmental degradation and the weakening of national governments.
- demands of these potential humanitarian responses may significantly tax U.S. military transportation and support force structures
The most telling aspect of this strategy is noted by Sen. John Kerry, Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, when he says,
he hoped to sway Senate skeptics by pressing that issue to pass a meaningful bill
So like it or not, the rhetoric is being ramped up to get ignorant Americans to somehow attach patriotism to global warming. I’m not buying it! Are you?